UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My Mexican wife deserted me and returned to Mexico in 2003…

My Mexican wife deserted me...
My Mexican wife deserted me and returned to Mexico in 2003 with my daughter, without approval. We were married in the UK and I divorced her in the UK by serving papers based on disertion and child abduction. Which were sent to Nexico . The divorce was granted as a result.My child is now over 18.
Last month I was served papers by a Mexican court for child maiteinance claims. Does she have any validity?
10/28/2017
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

I am afraid that it is indeed a valid claim and the eventual Order can be enforced here in the Uk (after some considerable effort)

Please ask if you need further details

Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Many thanks Clare. Although its disconcerting that I was denied access to my child's upbringing after the mother had taken her out of the country unlawfully 16 years ago, and now my daughter is over 18 a retrospective case for maintenence can be filed by the mother.

Now that changes things a little - the over 18 part that is

If she is over 20 it is unlikely that the Uk Courts would be willing to enforce an Order

Oh thanks for that. I will file a response to the Mexican court and stretch things out then I suppose
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.