UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

Citizen, living in England. I am in contact with a Filipina

Thanks, ***** ***** is *****...
Thanks, ***** ***** is ***** ***** I am UK citizen, living in England. I am in contact with a Filipina living and working in Hong Kong. Her husband has deserted her for another woman several years ago. She has three minor kids living with their grand parents in the Philippines. She wants to move on with her life, and re-marry to me. There is no divorce in her country. Can she file for and get a divorce in HK and thereafter can I petition her for a UK fiancee visa? If If so, what are your fees and how long will it take. Will that divorce be thereafter be recognised in the Philippines?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else, at the moment
Answered in 1 day by:
10/28/2017
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - how much time have you actually spent with this lady in person

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have only been in contact in cyberspace. I intend to visit her in HK but only if she can get her marriage annulled and we decide to get married. I will not proceed if she cannot do it legally.

She can indeed obtain a divorce in Hong Kong which will allow her to remarry if that is what you both wish

Assuming that your income is more than £18,400 a year and her English is of a good standard then you can apply for a fiancee visa - but you will need to have spent actual time with each other before it will be considered

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for this response. Am I right in saying that even though she can obtain a divorce in HK, it will not be recognised in the Philippines, since there are two countries in the world where there are no divorces: the Vatican and the Philippines, and if we get married, let's say in HK or the UK, and if she ever she goes back to her country she might be jailed for bigamy? Also how much will it cost to get a HK divorce and how long will it take? My income is less than £18,400 pa but I have savings to supplement the difference needed. I presume, and correct me if I am wrong, her HK income can also be factored in, which is nearly £4000 pa.

Her income can only be factored in if she will be able to earn it once she is in the UK.

I am afraid your lady will have to make her own enquiries regarding the cost of a Hong King divorce

If she is naturalised elsewhere then the divorce would be recognised in the Philippines although she would not be able to remarry there - but she would not be arrested for bigamy

Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Clare
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor