UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

My ex defrauded me out of £68,000 by telling me total lies,

Customer Question
my ex defrauded me out...
my ex defrauded me out of £68,000 by telling me total lies, he took advantage of my vulnerability, i was very vulnerable, i was isolated and was in a bad place, he used lies and a very different life to make me believe he was single and we would marry and then that he needed money. first the police would not take it as a criminal matter then i complained and they have i wanted to know what is your opinion on this, he has also threatened me on WhatsApp to have me shot and "lifted"
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Family Law
i have full WhatsApp chat proving he lied to me and made up a fantasy life that he was single and falsely represented himself, i also have bank statements proving the transfers. he made out he had no money where as he went and bought a £500,000 house with his wife when he took money from me. he made me buy presents for him and his children because he said he had no money. all of this is false representation and i was vulnerable as i was isolated from family and community and had orders against my family and he knew this and took advantage of my position.
i would like to know what would be the likely outcome etc
i am also taking civil action for recovery of damages re fraud
i am attaching the spreadsheet of the money that he took and a statement that i wrote that will help you.
10/8/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What stage are proceedings?

They are just looking to question him st the moment

You need to write and set out your losses and request a full payment within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

As your claim is over this amount you would do well getting a public access barrister to draft proceedings and represent you in court.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

I didn’t ask you that
I asked you in regards ***** ***** law
Please read my question properly
I am a lawyer myself but not a criminal one
I’ll go for a refund as you have not answered my question

You did not ask about criminal law.

You said you are taking civil proceedings and wanted to know the outcome.

No I didn’t I mentioned Police
No where did I say civil

If it assists you said. :

That was just to inform you however it is the criminal I’m seeking advice on

Have you reported it to the Police yet?

I mentioned they have in my first message

Yes but at what stage are proceedings?

Given my statement

Ok - has your ex been charged?

Not yet
Based on what I sent you what do you think is the probability

Ok - I think its likely. Based on what you have said, this is clear fraud.
I am sure your ex will be prosecuted and its likely to go to prison for 5 years or so.

So yes, based on all the evidence and your question I think your ex will be charged and convicted.

The evidence I have given you is it enough for the Police?
Am I correct in saying difference in criminal and civil fraud is that he preyed on my vulnerability

Correct.

Does that clarify?

evidence I gave you is enough for criminal conviction

Yes. It will come down to whether a jury believes you.

Does that clarify?

thank you
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor