UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My father died 20 years ago. He was married to my mother who…

Customer Question
My father died 20 years...
My father died 20 years ago. He was married to my mother who is 90. They lived together but he claimed they were tenants in common. He left all his estate, half of the modest house equally to NSPCC and Cats home. He left me (64) nothing nor my brother. (His only children.) His mother, my grandmother left money to my father with the stipulation that if my father predeceased her his legacy would come to me.My mother has moved into a nursing home and the house is to be sold.
Do I have a claim on his estate?I asked this question yesterday it have not had a reply!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Family Law
Answered in 1 day by:
10/3/2017
Solicitor: frantzgregory, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
frantzgregory

How do you know your dad left all his estate to NSPCC and Cats home? Why are you raising this issue now after 20 years? Why has your dad's estate been administered all this time?

1. It was in his will but has not happened because my mother was living in the house. 2. It is only now the house is going to be sold. I was abused and used as a slave by my father. My income is £1100 per month. I have ‘heard/read that I have a right to some of his estate? The estate has been managed.
I assume it is not clear cut otherwise I would have received a more prompt reply?

Y​ou can challenge your dad's Will. How were you abused and used as a slave by your father? What is the relevance of providing your income per month? Does your mother have a Will?

I was physically beaten all my childhood. (On my medical notes after a beating at 17 years.) I constantly had to obey. At 15 years, I was leaving school at 4pm getting a bus to his petrol filling station and serving petrol alone until bedtime. They sent a taxi to take me home and I was never left any tea/food. I was completely alone at the garage, which I now know to be illegal. No payment made.
My mother has left a will but is still alive. The house is being sold to pay for her care. I live in London and visit her every week in Manchester.
I gave my income because I consider to be low, I have just retired and as it was my grandmother’s wish that I receive her money.
How do I challenge his will?

You would need to arrange a meeting with a probate lawyer to give advice and help with challenging your dad's Will.

I don’t think your answer was any help. Were you giving a response from England? Thanks, ***** *****

Unfortunately probate is a regulated area of law in England. This means that I or any expert on here cannot give legal advice. What you describe is complicated. So you have been given the best possible advice in the circumstances which is that you need arrange a meeting with a probate lawyer.