Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Can I privately claim underpaid child maintenance

Hi can I privately claim underpaid child maintenance restrospectively... there were no court orders or CSA arrangement.. my daughter is adult now.. badicoher fatger only ever paid £150 a month despite earning over £100000 a year...
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: There was no court order voluntary arrangement
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He now lives in the states

Why do you say it was 'underpaid'?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Because he only ever paid £150 a month despite promising to pay more when his income increased. If I had gone to the CSA he would have been assessed to pay a much higher amount. I believe he's been earning in excess of £100,000 for a significant amount of the time he was paying £150 a month.

Sorry to give such disappointing news, but I am afraid that unless there was an order in place you can not bring a claim against him, particularly if he had not agreed to the additional sums. There remarkably is no cause of action in law for such a claim. I know that this sounds ridiculous but this is the law. Can you please rate positive for my time.

Please don't hesitate with any other questions on this.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thanks .

My pleasure