How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33038
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I privately claim underpaid child maintenance

This answer was rated:

Hi can I privately claim underpaid child maintenance restrospectively... there were no court orders or CSA arrangement.. my daughter is adult now.. badicoher fatger only ever paid £150 a month despite earning over £100000 a year...
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: There was no court order voluntary arrangement
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He now lives in the states

Why do you say it was 'underpaid'?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Because he only ever paid £150 a month despite promising to pay more when his income increased. If I had gone to the CSA he would have been assessed to pay a much higher amount. I believe he's been earning in excess of £100,000 for a significant amount of the time he was paying £150 a month.

Sorry to give such disappointing news, but I am afraid that unless there was an order in place you can not bring a claim against him, particularly if he had not agreed to the additional sums. There remarkably is no cause of action in law for such a claim. I know that this sounds ridiculous but this is the law. Can you please rate positive for my time.

Please don't hesitate with any other questions on this.

Thomas Judge and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thanks .

My pleasure