UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

My ex-partner's girlfriend (previously unknown to me) has

Hello, my ex-partner's girlfriend (previously...
Hello, my ex-partner's girlfriend (previously unknown to me) has been harassing and stalking me and my child. The Police are currently dealing with this and have recommended that my ex's contact with our child be via a contact centre, as the perpetrator has a history of violence (including towards children / in the presence of children) and my ex is sharing information with her that could place our child at risk - e.g. contact arrangements, the location of our child etc. I am following the advice (and agree with it), but getting a huge amount of backlash from my ex and a member of his family for not allowing open contact. My overriding concern is our child's welfare - I have no romantic attachment to my ex and would far rather not to have to do this. The Police have asked my ex and his family member not to discuss our child / arrangements for our child in his girlfriend's presence, but they continue to do so (and tell me that they are doing so). By them discussing contact arrangements with the perpetrator, I am concerned that she is being given information that would enable her to turn up outside the contact centre and this scares me. I desperately want our child to have a relationship with their father, which is why I am trying hard to find a solution. Is there some other way I can prevent information being passed on?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/16/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi - are you prepared to get something done to stop the harassment?

The Police are currently looking at conviction / prosecution (as she had not heeded their earlier 'words of advice'). I was hoping we would be able to get a restraining order after this. My greatest concern is that the girlfriend may not stop, even after conviction.

The criminal courts would normally issue a restraining order upon conviction for harassment unless there were a reason not to do so.

If the complainant wants a restraining order and they are not completely contemptuous towards them then normally a restraining order would be issued.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Thanks, Jo.Any advice Re: how to prevent my ex-partner passing on information?

There is no way of doing that I'm afraid.

He can do that if he chooses.

Are you able to suggest any measures that could put in place between now and the restraining order being put in place? I am conscious that it may take a while.

She will be on bail conditions of non contact anyway.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
I'm not sure she has been bailed yet - she has attended for interview and the police are conducting further enquiries.

No but contact with you would amount to an offence almost certainly.

it depends what she does but it would certainly be further harassment.

To be honest, restraining orders don't stop people who are intent.

Thanks, Jo. Her seeming intent is the nub of the issue really. If the information Re: contact wasn't being passed on I'd be less concerned. Given that there is no way from stopping the information being passed on, is there a safer alternative for contact?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister