Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I have submitted all the papers for a civil partnership

Customer Question

Hi I have submitted all the papers for a civil partnership dissolution... it's currently being worked on and finalised in terms of documents the court required.. I get re married in 9 weeks is there any way I can speed this up, I'm getting married abroad expiditinl
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: U.K.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: A few some are saying I can experdite ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just a civil parentnership as think it varies from normal divorce
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

Does your ex agree?

Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

We need to know just how far the paperwork has reached.

If in fact the Petition has been issued and sent to your ex and it has been acknowledged then all you can do is write to the Court and ask them to list an early date for the "Conditional Order".

There has to be six weeks between the Conditional and the final orders - UNLESS there is an overwhelmingly urgent reason to shorten this - usually involving a terminal diagnosis for either party to a further marriage or their very nearest relatives

If in fact the papers have not yet been submitted then frankly there is little chance of the matter being completed in time

Please ask i you need further details

Does your ex agree?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she agrees we are friends
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

The issue is not her agreement - the issue is where you are at the moment - has the paperwork actually been issued?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not to us as if yet... it's due to go before the judge any time now... when I called Friday they said they were working on it... so what can I do to speed things up

The fact that it is now going before the Judge will speed things up immensely. The judge will usually be able to action matters particularly if there is agreement from the ex.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

For clarity - ar you saying that the petition has not yet been issued at all?

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 month ago.

Obviously it has been issued for it to be before the judge

I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I have applied for the decri nissi and she his is with the judge now

That makes perfect sense. After decree nisi has been pronounced the Petitioner must wait for 6 weeks before applying for the decree nisi to be made absolute. The decree nisi does not end the marriage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I not exberdite that before?? When I get the decri nissi ??

No. Statute dictates the 6 weeks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you sure this is right? As I phone a local solicitor and they said they could??

absolutely sure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ahh ok I got told they could... so now I'm confused... what can I experdite??

You need to chase the court to make sure that the judge does the decree nisi

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is.... so what do I experdite? I'm confused
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

IF the Court has set a date for the Decree Nisi and it doe snot give you sufficient time for the six weeks that are needed before eh Decree Absolute is granted then you can write to the court and ask for the Decree Nisi date to be brought forward.

It is posisble to apply to abridge the six week wait but that is only granted where there is an overwhelmingly urgent reason to shorten this - usually involving a terminal diagnosis for either party to a further marriage or their very nearest relatives

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
getting re married is not a reason to experdite? Even tho the court admitted loosing my paperwork despite it being sent recoded guaranteed delivery?? This is why there was a hold up...
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Sadly no it is unlikely that the court will accept that as a reason - they will simply say you should not have booked your wedding before you had your Decree Absolute.

However they may be willing bring the date of the Decree Nisi forward if you ask them

Has this now been resolved for you with the court?