How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13472
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a lawyer specializing in International property

Customer Question

I need a lawyer specializing in International property rights. I am from Canada, and he is from the Uk. All of our property was acquired in 9 years of marriage while we were living in international destinations away from Canada and Uk. He bought all the property in UK. I am not on title deeds. How can I get my share from this? I want to freeze all of his bank accounts and properties to get half of my share.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which country is the divorce taking place in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not applied for divorce yet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My husband have several properties under his name in UK. How do I put a stay order on those so that he can't transfer or sell those without my consent?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm from Canada and he is from the UK. We lived together inDubai and saved money to acquire those, but him being a control freak put none of those under my name. Used mortgage as an excuse for not putting my name on the the title deed. He said that since those properties are on mortgage, he can't legally put me on the title deed.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: For?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am planning to file for separation. He has also just sold our main home in Dubai. He has received a cash cheque for it. Again, it's not under my name. I have two kids and wonder if he ever will be fair to us. I am also suspecting an affair.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also want to know about custody order. Both of my children were born in Canada. They don't have British passports. Can he take the children away from me? He did not let me work for the past 9 years. He made me follow him all over the world to support his career. He could not have done that without me taking care of the kids. I am afraid that if I don't put a stay order on the property that we acquired during our marriage, he may transfer those under his brother's name to fool me and make sure that I get nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
During our 9 years of marriage, we never had a joint account. I did not have access to any of his bank accounts or credit card statements. He has been very secretive. He never prepared for an emergency. If I was ever stranded without him, I would not have known anything about where our properties, or credit cards, are for me to take over as his wife. He did not even have any cash set aside for me to use during an emergency. He only have me a credit card under his name in which he would put in a set amount of money in order for me to buy groceries. He never included me in any major decisions in his life. He was married twice and both of his marriages ended in divorce.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can he send me a custody order from uk? I am currently in Canada. I am worried about having to make court appearances in the U.K. It's impossible to do with two little children who go to school.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My kids and I are not British citizens.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
While we were in Dubai, he used to threaten to take my children and run away if I ever tried to separate from him. He was mentally, financial, and emotionally very dismissive and abusive towards me. He has hit me twice in the heat of the argument. I warned him to keep his hands to himself, and made it very clear that I will call the authorities on him if he ever hit me again. After this last warning, he has never hit me again.At his point, I am very afraid of him taking my children away by sending a custody order. Does the person who sends the custody order has an upper hand in the case? Should I just wait around or send him a custody order? If I do, I know that he will right away start to re-mortgage the properties that are under his name or try to transfer them under his brother's name or even sell stuff for very cheap to his friends who are already lawyers and judges. What would be the most wise and smart step for me to take at this time? Should I put a stay order on the properties first? Or send a custody order? I am dealing with a person who has all resources on his side, a very well connected person who has friends as lawyers. I am really the disadvantaged person here and I need very good advice to handle my selfish husband.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

where are you living at the moment?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i want a new lawyer
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry - I am unclear if you are currently living in the UK or not - it is important I am afraid