Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Im filipina married in philippines and tried applying for

Customer Question

Hi im filipina married in philippines and tried applying for divorce here in uk if divorce is granted can i re marry here in uk?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Im in uk now as student visa and living here for more than 3yeqrs now and me and my current partner wants to get married i am now in england
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, i processed my divorced papers here on my own
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is no divorce in philippines that is why i applied here in uk..now if im divorced here can i get married here?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Yes if a divorce is granted here in the Uk then you will be able to get remarried here

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am really worried because under philippine law, divorce is not legal so even if im divorce in england i am still technically married and cant re marry
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Since you will be marrying in the Uk and not the Philippines this is not a p[roblem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I search the internet check some forums and said i need to be annuled first in philippines before i am free to marry even if its outside philippines and even if i am divorce in another country is this true?
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

No that is only true if you wish to be remarried in the Philippines - or have your second marriage recognised there

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you claire �� I was really worried and scared thank you for your quick response as well ��
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

You are most welcome