How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34233
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my wife for over 6 years and have

Customer Question

I have been separated from my wife for over 6 years and have had no contact with her during this period of time. I do not know where she is residing (checked electoral role records) and wish to divorce. How do I go about this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk are you in?

Habve you contacted her family members/instructed an enquiry agent to trace her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Lincolnshire and have made no attempt to contact family members as I do not have contact details. I tried a company called Tracesmart about 18 months ago to try to find my spouse but no results could be obtained
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Do you have the marriage certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have the certificate but the marriage took place on 11August 1995 in Wem, Shropshire
I left the marital home on 23 April 2010 and have had no contact since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previous addresses for the family home were: 3 The firs, Whitchurch Shropshire
3 Southlawn, Witney, Oxfordshire
The Old Lodge, Swinhope, Lincolnshire
Manor Farm, West Rasen, Lincolnshire
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Just to check - what kind of a service did Tracesmart offer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant remember. It was a paid for service which supposedly checks names throughout the UK
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much did it cost (just checking that it will be ok for court purposes)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't remember that either
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Your starting point is to apply to the Registrar in Shropshire for a further copy of your marriage certificate.

Once you have than you can apply for a divorce based on the fact that you have lived apart for more than five years

The forms are here

You will also need to complete the form which asks for permission to go ahead in the absence of her address - here

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details