How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33037
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just researching about divorce after 5 years

Customer Question

I was just researching about divorce after 5 years separation and whether you still have to pay court fees. I want to move on but am on disability for an illness so can't afford big fees.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: No nothing has been filed. I noticed you used a $ sign does that mean you are based in America? As I'm in England.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No just been searching the web
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We've got 2 children, we've already sorted custody and visitation. Also he pays me maintenance through the csa.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

Fee exemption for divorce does still exist. If you are in receipt of any of the following benefits
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
• Pension Credit guarantee credit
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Working Tax Credit but not in receipt of Child Tax Credit

If you are under 61 and have disposable capital of £3,000 or more you will not be able to apply for court fee remission even if you are on benefits.

If you are over 61 the threshold is £16,000 disposable capital. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.


Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.


I hope that this answer was of assistance, so please now take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars). This is extremely important in this process. I can continue and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you