How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13474
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has filed and I am awaiting the final divorce

Customer Question

My husband has filed for divorce and I am awaiting the final divorce petition. I strongly disagree with his statement of case but I do not want to defend the divorce as the marriage is clearly over as the trust has completely gone. My husband has a Solicitor but I do not have one yet due to finances. We are still living together in separate bedrooms. My husband
is constantly trying to discredit my parenting (constant criticism, negative comments and putting me down). Also, I feel my husband is stalking me - he bugged my mobile phone and tracked all my phone calls, messages, Internet use and emails and he even tracks when I use my photocopier at home. Also, he has started to recorded our conversations and disagreements as evidence against me. I have agreed to mediation but he now says he can't afford it. I try hard to keep quiet as I do not feel safe to speak at home. Please advice what action I can take. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Do the allegations say anything about you being violent or neglecting the children?

Is he claiming costs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the allegations in the statement of case refer to the relationship breakdown, me being away from the family home and that I have had another relationship which is untrue. He has said that he wants me to pay half of divorce costs and half of mediation costs via his solicitor. I agreed to mediation but he now says he does not have £90 to pay towards mediation for the first session. He said he wants to be bought out and move out as we have a joint mortgage. He said he wants 50 50 child care but I believe his motivation is only financial. Thanks for your response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add that the draft divorce petition was in March this year. Since this time he has made lots of comments to suggest that I am neglecting the children such as I'm not feeding the children enough, showering the children, the children go to bed too late and are tired for school the next day. All of which is untrue but he wants to gather evidence against me and strengthen his case. Thanks for your consideration of my questions.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How old are the children?

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children are aged 9 and 6. The house is worth £260 000 and the outstanding mortgage is £130 000. We do not have any assets. We both have debt of £15, 000 approximately each. Our income is £4000 each month (£2000 each approximately). He has paid £900 into my bank account monthly and he has paid same amount of £900 for 10 years. His payment of £900 each month goes towards the mortgage, food, childcare, care of kids, family expenses etc. Thanks for your consideration of my query
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much would a cheaper three bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;230 000 approximately thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What mortgage could you raise?