How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to change my child's surname as my ex partner

Customer Question

I would like to change my child's surname as my ex partner has had years without contact at all to our daughter who is nearly 11. I understand I need to fill in c100 form but having difficulty
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: No Csa for two years no birthday cards Xmas cards Easter gifts for several years either
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Hi, What exactly is it that you want to know about this? Do you have the father’s address? Has he refused consent? Why do you want to change the child’s name? Can I have full details please? Thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.It is very difficult to persuade a court to change a child's surname even where there has been very little contact from the father. The court is often reluctant to allow a change because he can be considered as removing the father's identity and the court is reluctant to allow this. You would be seeking a specific issue order on the C100 form and Cafcass would need to undertake a s.7 report. There is an excellent book which talks you through the entire process from amazon and is very easy to understand for about a tenner - would be delighted to answer any additional questions and please rate positive.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist you any further with this? When you get a moment, could you use the rating service to rate my answer positive otherwise, unfortunately, I don’t get paid and I have answered you for nothing. Thank you kind regards