UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

I am at the final hearing stage of my divorce. My husband

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I am at...
Hi Pearl, I am at the final hearing stage of my divorce. My husband didn't attend court at all last year. I had a final hearing in January and the judge just dismissed everything because my paperwork was a year old.( No one told me this was going to be an issue) as you can tell I am representing myself. I really don't know what to do this time round.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, because I am benefits due to my son having cancer I haven't gone back to work
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My husband doesn't do the paperwork or always attend court. He also is hard to track down via a process server. He has debts on the house which is over £13000.00. He was violent and verbally and financially abusive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2016
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is the nature of the hearing that you are speaking about

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
I have got my final hearing for the financial aspect for my divorce
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
Would it be better to call?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Right so this is the final hearing and your ex has not co-operated at all.

What are the assets and what are you asking for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
No he hasn't.
The family home is the only assets.
I am not sure what percentage of the house to ask for because originating asked for the home because of the lack of contributions towards the mortgage and the upkeep, but the judge said that it is not going to happen. I also would like half his pension.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

How much is his pension worth (so far as you know)

How old are any children involved?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's worth £450,000 and mortgage is £206,000
Pension unsure
Our youngest is 18yrs old.
My grandson is 11 and lives with me

How much would a two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Probably £290,000, I have my other two sons that live with me also. What am I supposed to put them out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That price is based on ex council type property. Do they consider the older children.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
Can we continue with your advice to please.Thanks

Of course.

Sadly children over 18 are not taken into account when looking at housing issues.

What income do you and your ex each have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unemployed at the moment. My ex is a Teaching assistant
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Are you aware that the site charges more for a phone call?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I wasn't aware of that, thanks for letting me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My emails are delayed?

Do you wish to continue in this Forum?

Who owns the property your ex lives in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please.
We are joint owners and I live here.
I have an occupation order in place so he unable to return to the property.

Who owns the place where HE lives

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know where he lives, he is apparently moving around. Last place he said in court he was staying with his sister. Now he says he live round the corner from me. I think with a girlfriend. I don't know of him owning any other properties
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
I am still awaiting your reply

My apologies for the delay.

So limited assets - only the matrimonial home and his pension.

Limited income for both of you.

How long were you living together in total and is the so with Cancer still living with you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We were together for 18years
Yes that son still lives with me.

I am sorry to ask - but what is the long term position - will he be reliant on you in the future - and is the child also his child?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My son still lives with me. His dad will not be having him at all. He is our youngest who is 18. Yes he if the father

Sorry - I mean how long will he be dependent on you given his illness

Clare
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor