How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 70280
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex partner is getting harassed by someone trying to serve

Customer Question

My ex partner is getting harassed by someone trying to serve a statutory demand on me. We split up recently and I'm currently staying at a friends.She has told him four times that I no longer live there. I'm currently away overseas on business otherwise I would arrange to meet and accept the demand which I intend on getting set aside.We split up over the person behind the demand so she is extremely upset.She is feeling very harassed and becoming frustrated that this man does not believe her.What are her rights if she is feeling alarmed and distressed?Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If this is the last known address then he is entitled to serve it upon you there.

Whether she is feeling harassed is a non issue.

In fairness, it is really nothing for her to worry about. All she has to do is accept delivery or not as she chooses.

The other alternative is that she can give him your new address. He probably will try there as his goal is just to serve this.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want him on the property of my ex-partners house. Its upsetting her.Can she call the Police if she is feeling harassed? She has asked politely to stop calling and he's ignoring. She will not give the address of my friends as we do not want to create any issues there. I will accept the document myself upon my return.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, nobody can stop her doing that but they will not act. He is not doing anything unlawful.

I wouldn't worry about whether this is upsetting her. All that is happening is that somebody is attending asking for you. It is just plain not really a ground to be upset I'm afraid.