How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32990
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got decree nisi on 29thsept 2015 i am the petitioner and i

Customer Question

i got decree nisi on 29thsept 2015 i am the petitioner and i applied for decree absolute. everything was agreed before including financial consent my wife has now filed that it was duress and put false rape charges will i get my absolute decree or will i have to wait
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has asked to put aside the financial consent order which still was in process and than got me arrested on 25th dec 2015 i was real eased on conditional bail this was for harassment and later on feb2nd it was no further action by police and than on 3rd feb she put false rape charges the police called me for voluntary interview they are investigating the case i have applied for decree absolute on 29th jan 2016 i haven't received the decree absolute so i want to know will i get the decree absolute or will i have to wait
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

As the petitioner it is usually you who would apply for the decree absolute. She can apply to the court to prevent the granting of the DA. That said, the court in previous cases very often is supportive of the granting of a DA. The power to delay decree absolute “is an exercise of discretion of the trial judge but that exercise of discretion weights the granting of the decree absolute against the special circumstances very heavily in favour of the grant. I hope that this makes sense. Please rate positive.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Related UK Family Law Questions