UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Charging order against property. There is a 43000 pounds…

Customer Question
Charging order against property. There is...
Charging order against property.
There is a 43000 pounds charging order against my property from my ex wife. She has asked the court to enforce the sale ( awaiting date of hearing ) I made an arrangement with ex wife of 500 per month her argument is default because I have me a couple of late payments.
To further complicate matters she is asking for £47000. ( with interest )
I have paid her £10000 to date which her solicitor is ignoring and asking for the full amount.
Can I stop this ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
2/22/2016
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What were the terms of the original Order regarding payment?

The payment schedule was an informal arrangement between my ex wife and myself of £500 per month with no solicitor involved which she accepted at the time
The order/charge issued by the court is for £43576 with interest NB7 final order
Paul

My apologies for not being clear

How did the debt actually arise?

The debt was the past part of a divorce settlement the 43K is the last tranche.

When should that have been paid and why were you unable to do so

14th April 2014, I did not have the cash funds to pay the balance in full, hence the 500 per month arrangement

And you have not been able to keep those up either?

No missed payments as far as I am concerned BUT her argument is I was 2 weeks late on a couple of occasions and this as far
as she is concerned ( and her solicitor ) is now grounds for default.??? So they are filing to enforce the order to sell my house to pay the debt
20 X £500 10K paid already.

So you have made 20 payments already and only two were late - is that about right?

Clare oh no everything up to date and payments still being made , I do not understand but for some reason she has now decided the agreement is defaulted and one must go to court ?

Has she actually applied to send it back - if so what has she said on the application?

Clare her solicitor wrote to me saying they give me 2 weeks to pay £47K the debt is £43K ( they just stuck interest on the end of it and said that is what I owe, without taking into consideration the £10K that has been paid ) That was 2 weeks ago, so I am waiting for a court date at present.

Did you write back and confirm that you have been paying in accordance with the verbal (?) agreement?

outlining the payment schedules, some where late as the banks do not process on weekend.
Also asking for clarification on how their numbers where arrived at.

Then wait and see

If there was a verbal agreement and you have kept to it then your ex would struggle to persuade a Court to make an Order for sale provided you have kept to the schedule

You will have strong grounds for defending any application

I hope that this is of assistance

Thanks Clare , that was what I thought, but needed a legal standpoint.
Very helpful
Thanks
Paul
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.