UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Can spousal maintenance be back dated once a divorce

Customer Question
petition has be given? If so...
Can spousal maintenance be back dated once a divorce petition has be given?
If so how far back?
When can I apply for spousal maintenance ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
2/14/2016
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

You can apply for spouse maintenance as soon as the divorce petition has been issued.

I am afraid that the order cannot be backdated to a date prior to the applictaion being made

Please ask if you need further details

Clare

Thank you for your reply.
Could this be argued?
I had to leave our home due to his violence three years ago May.
I have been unable to afford a divorce. But now he's put a divorce petition in, could it be possible to claim back dated maintenance? I have had to live back at my parents from that time till now and I am forever borrowing money and accumulating expenses that need to be paid back. I'm also looking after our son who is of a young age. Whilst he carries on earning a high level of income and doing nothing with two properties .. Hopefully hear from you soon. Many thanks

Hi

How much are the properties worth and how much is outstanding on any mortgages?

What income do you each have and what child maintenance is paid?

One has been on the market and over priced for 3 years this October. It is worth £450,000 and has an outstanding mortgage of £260,000.
The other one is worth £230,000, and has a mortgage of £110,000. He is renting this out to the army base near by .. He gives £500 for child maintenance. That began April/ may 2015. Our son was born 01/01/2015. He doesn't give any maintenance for myself, household expenses or rent etc

Di you not wish to live in either property?

The one is being rented out so I can't. And I was advised by the police to stay at my parents house with our son because they felt it wasn't safe for me to live in the matrimonial home.

Sorry - I understand that - but if you COULD live in one of them would you wish to?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No because I was on my own a lot the time. I don't know anyone from that area. And my parents live an hour away.
I don't see a life or one suitable to bring up our son in. It's isolated and too far away from anything I enjoying doing.

That is fine - it is just important to know!

How much would you need to purchase a two bedroom property in the area you are currently living in

Well there isn't anything smaller than a four bed available in the area I live. If I had the money I would move somewhere that is only 15 minutes away from my parents house and close to two very good schools.. I've looked into a three bed home .. Value between £230,000-£280,000.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.