UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My child is on a section 20 after difficult behaviour and…

Customer Question
Hi my child is on...
Hi my child is on a section 20 after difficult behaviour and returning home under the influence of cannabis , the police took him as I did not want him in the house in that condition, he was on a ppo from Friday till Monday , and put in temp foster care , on the Monday then Wednesday as contacted me telling me I had to have him back , I wanted him back but told as that I had seen my Gp over stress and I had just started taking anti depressants , and felt until they had got into my system I could not have him back , they told me that he could stay where he was for now until assessments have been done , I am now 4 weeks into taking them and feel I can now have him back home , the difficulty is , is now my son who is 15 nearly sixteen wants to stay where he is and is angry at me for the situation he is in , I have had no contact at all and all social services say are that he doesent want to speak to you!! I am really upset and want to end the section 20 and have my son back home and build up our relationship , he has high functioning autism , but is very clever , he knows all the laws rules regarding his rights , but does not and can not see the bigger picture of his actions , all I want is my son home, can they keep him on the 20 if he doesent want to come home ? I am quite capable of looking after him and their are no risks to him ok being in my care , pls help me with advice in this upsetting situation , many thanks Jacqueline
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
2/11/2016
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 2 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

You really ought to be allowed to have contact with your son and talk through with him the issues. If you remove your s.20 - which you are entitled to do at any time (you may have agreed to give them notice) then they would have to apply to the court for an ICO - he would also then have someone to represent him (a guardian) and you would also be allowed to have reasonable contact - this may well assist. You would also get legal aid to ensure that you got legal representation. Happy to answer any questions but please rate positive. Thanks

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.