How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34107
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Story of domestic abuse from my ex husband, who also

Customer Question

History of domestic abuse from my ex husband , who also attacked my son. Ex husband is not allowed unsupervised contact with my children due to social services investigation, I am happy about this . Paternal grandparents have occasionally had my children on sleepovers , once every two months , and sporadic other contact , I.e taking children for dinner . They were supervising my children with my ex husband but I am no longer allowing that as they did not supervise properly ,
Leaving the children alone with their dad whilst going in other rooms etc. Complete breakdown of trust and I have offered grandparents to Come and visit children in my home but they have refused and are now applying for permission to go to court . I have offered contact , what likely outcome will this have ? Due to history of domestic violence and the complications of trusting his parents and their loyalties to their son , I do not want these grandparents to have any unsupervised access , as it is my job to safeguard and if there is any doubt in my mind that the children are being emotionally or physically put in danger , I need to act . Can these grandparents get overnight visits ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Have the grandparents made an application yet to the court for a child arrangement order?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for 30 years.

I appreciate that they have clearly not understood the serious nature of the requirement to supervise the contact the children have with their father.

Clearly this impacts on whether or not they can be trusted to have unsupervised contact without involving their son.

However rather than contact in your home it would be wiser to offer contact at a Contact Centre so that they see the children in a neutral but safe setting.

Without knowing more about the age of the children it is hard to be certain if or when overnight ocntact might again be a possibility but clearly it would not be in the immediate future

Please ask if you need further details


Related UK Family Law Questions