How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 70197
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been asked by my employer if I am willing to work

Customer Question

I have been asked by my employer if I am willing to work away from home (mon-fri). This would mean leaving my 17 year old son on his own in the house. My partner lives over the road and within 100 yrds of our house are at least 4 friends who are willing to keep an eye on him or help in an emergency.
His mother (who works for child services) says that because he is under 18 he cannot be left in alone/charge overnight by himself and will have me prosecuted for neglect.
Where do I stand in a court of law.
thanks Darren
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Please don't worry.

The police will not have the remotest interest in whether or not a 17 year old is left alone. If he were 9 that would be different.

Unfortunately they won't give your wife a wasting police time fine either though which is a pity as it is appropriate for revenge seekers who waste the resources of the Crown on this nonsense.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there's nothing else thank you. I'm happy with your answer.
thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.

Related UK Family Law Questions