Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been asked by my employer if I am willing to work

Customer Question

I have been asked by my employer if I am willing to work away from home (mon-fri). This would mean leaving my 17 year old son on his own in the house. My partner lives over the road and within 100 yrds of our house are at least 4 friends who are willing to keep an eye on him or help in an emergency.
His mother (who works for child services) says that because he is under 18 he cannot be left in alone/charge overnight by himself and will have me prosecuted for neglect.
Where do I stand in a court of law.
thanks Darren
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Please don't worry.

The police will not have the remotest interest in whether or not a 17 year old is left alone. If he were 9 that would be different.

Unfortunately they won't give your wife a wasting police time fine either though which is a pity as it is appropriate for revenge seekers who waste the resources of the Crown on this nonsense.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there's nothing else thank you. I'm happy with your answer.
thank you
Darren
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.