How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34105
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My pregnant girlfriend moved in with me 2 months ago and she

Customer Question

Hi, my pregnant girlfriend moved in with me 2 months ago and she now wants things to end. I have obviously tried all I can to get her to stay. She is currently telling me that I need to move out of the house and I want to know what my rights are. I own
the house and pay the mortgage and the bills. Her name isn't on any document and there is no written agreement between us that says she can stay here. Where do I stand? Advice gratefully received
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

When is the baby due?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claire, the baby is due in 4 weeks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I have to ask (I am sorry) but are you certain that the child is yours?

How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Where was your girlfriend living prior to moving in with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's ok no need to apologise. I'm certain the baby is mine. The property is worth about £430k based on neighbours selling for that last week, with £265k outstanding on the mortgage. My girlfriend was living in a housing association house which gave up to move in with me.... Does our discussion make it on the website for others to view?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much does a two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Your ex cannot force you to leave your home unless you are violent, and she has no financial claim on the property.

However once the baby is born you are under a duty to help house the child until the child is 18 which is where she has gained the idea that you must leave and she can stay

However it is not a simple as she thinks - you can fulfil this responsibility in a number of ways including offering a lumps um to allow her to rehouse herself in rented property

If you do decide to provide a property then you can of course downsize to one more appropriate which would revert to you when the child is 18 or the mother cohabits.

I suggest that try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details


Related UK Family Law Questions