How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13474
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Clare, I would like to know if I would be able to open my

Customer Question

Hi Clare, I would like to know if I would be able to open my divorce case again as a vulnerable person who is registered blind? My wife told me that to have a selicitor would cost thousands of pounds; that neither of us could afford one. If this was a
lie then I was unaware and thought therefore it was true because I could not access this information. Basically, I don't feel the division of assets was fair what so ever due to my lack of information. I felt pressured not to talk to a face-to-face selicitor.
Can you help with this issue of mine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee

Thank you for asking for me

When was the final financial order made, how much were the assets worth and how were they divided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the final financial arrangements would hav been made in Oct or Nov 2014 as we had divorce papers through mid Jan the following year. cant remember exactly. The house was not properly valued. we speculated that the current market value of hour family home was £230,000. the morggage was worth £83000 what was left after was aprox £14000. divide that between us and that left £70,000. I accepted something much lower. I felt emotionally manipulated into that. I took a TV and brickerbrack from the house no major furnishings. I had a business my then wife had shares. We agreed I would keep the money in the business worth £8000 but she had made a miss calculation in terms of business regs and what could be clamed for. in short, she got the house and everything in it. I got between £30000/£40000. I feel I was entitled to more that she neglected to disclose to me. I felt taken advantage of because my registered blind. Can I do anything to review all this? I signed the house over. I was made to feel my son would suffer if I did not do what my X had suggested I do.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Was a Court Order actually made regarding the Financial Order - it might have been called a Consent order

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but I will ask my friend tonight as I did ask the X wife for all paperwork I had signed. This should offer some confirmation for you. be back soon. thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That is fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, the document I signed is headed 'financial redemption order' is this the same thing as a financial order? It documents how much of the property equity Lisa and I agreed. We did not go to court; again it was all done via an online selicitor. I did not know the full contents of this document which refers to the fact I could have been entitled to more. Due to the fact I could not see the document; I was unable to verify what I signed and it was my X wife who I put my trust in; this was a time I was severely disadvantaged. There were things I was ignorant to I could have clame for. I was emotionally black mailed through believing my son would suffer if I did not accept lower equity in our property etc. Please is there anything that could be done to review this division of assets?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is there a Court Seal on the document?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, I will have to ask a friend later tonight if there is a court seal on the document as I cannot see it myself. I will then send another reply and confirm. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, there is a stamp that says the family court on the top right of the financial remedy order and the decree absolute. Is this what you were thinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm feeling that now she has got what she wanted; rather through unfair and manipulative means I am left with no leverage to reopen this to check and review. I guess this kind of thing does happen to people similar to myself with a disability. This is what made me ask. I thought there would be some sort of act that may help?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Can you scan and send the financial order to me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, what is your email address?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

To the left of the Send button, There should be an "+ Add Files" link. click on that link and select the file(s) that you want to share

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, I have tried to attach the document but I have difficulties with downloading it as it is not compatible with the specialist software I use on my computer to enable it to talk. The easiest option is for me to have your email address. I can attach it as an attachment.