Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

How old do u have to be to become emancipated

Customer Question

how old do u have to be to become emancipated
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

There is no law of emancipation in the Uk. The age of majority in the eyes of the law is 18 years. At that age, a person becomes an adult and, as such, is free from the legal control of his or her parents. The law in the UK is clear: young people are not legally able to make decisions until they are 18 years old. Clearly if they are having problems at home then they should consider calling social services. Please rate positive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
u cant become ur own legal gardian before turning 18 then?
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I see that you are from the United States. The answer provided above was for United Kingdom, and not the United States.

A lot of this depends on what state you are in. However, the vast majority of US states emancipate at 18, meaning that at 18 you no longer have to live with your parents, follow a custody/visitation order, and/or, listen to your parents. However, at the same time, your parents can ask you to leave if they want to - once you are 18, the parents no longer have to take care of you.

IF YOU TELL ME WHAT STATE YOU ARE IN, I can provide information more specific to your state. Thanks.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was asking about in the uk

Ah, well then my sincere apologies. For some reason, your information shows you as being in the United States, and, your question is the the US legal category, and not the UK legal category.

As such, please disregard my answer, and provide your positive rating to the original expert's answer (ivorylounge). Also, if you have any more questions, they should reply when they are online.

My apologies again. All the best.

That is correct.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

To add to my colleagues answer (not replace) once a young person is over 16 they cannot be forced to return to their parents home

if they choose to leave home

If you have an issue at home really you should talk to social services.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you

my pleasure - can you please rate positive