Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My 13 year old son has been accused of inappropriately

Customer Question

My 13 year old son has been accused of inappropriately touching a girls breasts. The incident happened at School bus stop. He snatched the girls phone out of her hands whilst texting and it landed in a bin and got water damaged. She was so cross her phone was broken she told him she was going to get him into real trouble and he was going to wish he would die. She has now reported him for touching her breasts. He has witnesses to say it did not happen but he is now not allowed back to school until it is cleared up but she is. I have to go to the police station with him for an interview on Monday. This happened nearly a week ago and the police are being very slow in sorting out so he can return to school
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if they can keep him off school until it is cleared up. The police said it could take some time. They haven't even interviewed him yet and the charges were made last Wednesday. They have not been to speak to his witnesses. He has Instagram messages that prove at least one of her witnesses is refusing to lie for her. I also want to know what happens to her if it is proved she is lying. Because this has caused serious distress to my son and his family.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they can and it is likely that they will. They will not want potential for interference with witnesses and also from his point of view it is safer not to be exposed to that risk. At this stage it will be a decision of the school but the police might bail him with conditions of bail not to return. If he is 13 though I would imagine that they would just treat him as a volunteer.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The school might send some work home for him.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son has a statement of special educational needs. Will this work against him. We have witnesses to say he hasn't done it. He has no syndromes only severe dyslexia calculia and dyspraxia. I always worried about him getting bullied. If it is proven she is lying what happens to her.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, not really. It doesn't make it any more likely or less likely that he would commit an offence of this nature.