How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 70181
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you advise me please? My husbands ex wife has had 2

Customer Question

Can you advise me please? My husbands ex wife has had 2 warnings( harassment information notice) 1 two years ago and then another year ago. Today the police visited my home whilst I was out and left a harassment information notice with my husband claiming I sent malicious messages on Facebook that are simply not true. I feel I am being harassed again, now via the police. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know?

what are you hoping to do about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I originally contacted the police I had to show proof of harassment, so why would the police come with this document with NO evidence? Also, I feel that I have been indirectly harassed as the police have visited my home and this has caused me distress.
I want the harassment to stop, can you tell me if I can ask them to issue a harassment notice and can I ask them to consider that she has made false allegations and has wasted police time and caused me distress. Of course I will not not sign this notice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Probably because she has made a counter allegation which is not having no evidence I'm afraid. She has made an allegation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Whether you sign it or not is a non issue. It has been served and that is all they have to show.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can ask them to consider anything you like but it won't make a difference. Serving harassment warnings on both sides are quite common. In fairness, if a person is being harassed then they would want no contact with their harasser so there is no prejudice in being on a warning themselves.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

making false allegations can amount to harassment but I cannot agree that getting the police to serve one harassment warning is sufficient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I within my rights to contact the police and tell them that I feel this is another harassment from this individual?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, you can do that but it is a waste of your time I'm afraid. I cannot agree this is harassment.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If we are wholly honest with each other, she was always going to do this when you made an allegation against her. Unfortunately that is what people like that do. That is why it is very dangerous to make complaints about people.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Whenever people do they create a motivation for the other person to do the same to them. It would be nice if we lived in world where people had better things to do but human nature is what it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK it makes sense. I had presumed that as the police asked - and I have of course showed them evidence that she had in fact harassed me that they would do the same. I can pressure that this just isnt the case? So I can expect that this individual can ask the police to visit when ever she like's within reason with no evidence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Oh no, not necessarily. That is why you have not been arrested and interviewed. A harassment warning is just a police means of diverting an allegation from court.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I imagine she probably will carry on making allegations. If she makes a large number that lead to nothing then you could consider a harassment claim.

Related UK Family Law Questions