How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jusleen Your Own Question
jusleen, Family Lawyer
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 942
Experience:  Qualified Family Solicitor practising family law since 1999. Member of resolution.
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
jusleen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help? My brother was taken from mother nearly 2 years ago

Customer Question

Hello please help? My brother was taken from mother nearly 2 years ago and is currently living with his grandparents on his farthers side, we have the same mum but different fathers. I have been denied contact. I did get to see him once around a year ago. I was given limited time with him (half a day) and during that time I was given tasks e.g get his hair cut which he didn't particularly like (I'm unsure if they made me do this so he associated me with hair cut and would remember it) I have since tried to make contact with them and had no response. It's the school holidays now so I am wanting to write an official letter to them asking for contact. The reason they are dening contact is that they think I will
Take my brother to see my mum. I would never do that. My relationship with my mother is seperate. The time I get with my brother would be confidential and I would never put my brother at risk. I am 24 and he is 7. Do I have any rights?! Is their any laws I can state in my letter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would also like to explain that I have never put him at risk in my care, I have my own home which if beautifully kept and they can always visit. Another thing I would like to mention is before I got to see Mason the previous time his nana arranged to meet me. I went round to their house and I feel like she interrogated me on my past from when I was young and in the care of my mother and this really upset me. If I speak to her i want this to be only in regards ***** ***** She also tried to say that Mason had said things which he could "he looked at the puddle and said I wish all my mums family drowned in it" which was also heartbreaking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which he couldn't of said*
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please see attachments for messages
Expert:  jusleen replied 2 years ago.
Hi as a sister you do not have an automatic right to apply for contact with your sibling or half sibling. You would need to obtain the courts permission if you chose to make an application. If you wish to embark on this you must contact the grandparents and let them know you want to see your brother. In the same letter mention that you intend to also refer the matter to mediation. Make it clear that as a result of the last you have no intention of introducing him to the mother and that any contact would need to be set at his place and by agreement. By referring to meditation you are putting them in an arena to discuss their concerns as well as you and with the assistance of a professional to get something set up. If mediation is not successful or suitable then you will be entitled to make an application to court for a child arrangements order to spend time with your brother once permission to make the application is granted by the court. I hope this assists. Please rate the answer to enable me to be credited for my time. If you are interested in further dialogueI am prepared to continue to communicate with you at no extra charge. Kind regards Jusleen