How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33011
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left my property 3 weeks ago in the night in an emergency

Customer Question

Hi, I left my property 3 weeks ago in the night in an emergency situation as my ex attacked me and my son. He was arrested and charged with assault and goes to trial in August. He had bail conditions which stated he could not contact myself or my sons or go to my parents address where we are staying .He breached his bail conditions last week by texting and calling me, friendly at first then not so friendly when I didn't reply so after a day of texts I called the police who arrested him. He went to court yesterday where they basically gave him a ticking off and reiterated his conditions .My daughter and my father went to the property this morning to get my belongings and he allowed them to take our clothes but nothing else. He stated I owed him rent money. All the furniture was either brought with me that I've had for years or I bought it with my own money. We only lived together for 6 months and have no joint account or anything. How can I get my furniture etc.. back? My children don't have a bed to sleep on and all I have is the clothes we have on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
What did the police say about the furniture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That it's a civil matter and they were there to prevent a breach of peace. The officer was very apologetic but said his hands were tied. They advised me to send him a solicitor letter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He told my dad I can have my stuff when I pay him the money I owe him. I presume he's talking about rent or possibly money he paid for a holiday that we didn't go on as I'd left him and he was in custody .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rent was due after I was forced to leave. I could have had him evicted from the property so we could return but.Don't want to go back as the house has bad memories for me and I need to be closer to my family. I'm in temporary accommodation at present and my children are split amongst the family
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
You are entitled to your stuff back. You could threaten to take him to court. You could issue court proceedings for the recovery of the items or indeed the money owed to you - but this may take some time. Very often a solicitor letter will bring someone to heel quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it make a difference that we were in a relationship albeit a short one cohabiting?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Not really. The simple fact is that you are allowed in law your items back.