How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34106
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to ask some further questions please. I

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to ask some further questions please. I have done some research and have learnt that my ex-partner should pay child maintenance of 16% of his gross earnings up to £800pw and 12% of £800-£3000pw. If he earns over £3000pw, is he obliged
to pay any further maintenance? Also, he is self-employed and earns varying amounts each year. How do we calculate the amount and from which tax year do we start from? Is he under a duty of care to assist with housing financially on top of the child maintenance?
If yes, what is reasonable to expect his contribution to be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I paid for a fast response - am I going to get a reply??
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delay.
If he does in fact earn over £3000 a week gross then he is indeed obliged to make further payments but you will need to make an application to the Court using Schedule 1 of the Children Act and show what further funds are required to maintain a comfortable lifestyle for the children equivalent to the lifestyle they have when they stay with him.
This could well be in the form of accommodation expenses to supplement the child maintenance.
The assessment will be based on the income received in the previous tax year UNLESS there is evidence that the current year figures will be significantly different
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Related UK Family Law Questions