How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13474
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Clare,I believe I have been paying too much weekly

Customer Question

Hello Clare,
I believe I have been paying too much weekly payments towards the costs of child maintenance. The resident parent (the mother) recently showed me a letter from the from the Child Support Agency dated the 20th June 2014 stating I pay £31.19 per week. I have been paying £43.67 until the 4th May this year. I have calculated this to be overpaying by £12.47 per week x 45 weeks. This equates to have £561.47 in overpayment. I never received any documentation from the CSA to confirm these figures. If the figures are correct please can you confirm if I am eligible to claim a refund for this overpayment. If so I will contact the CSA to clarify this matter.
Thank you.
Paul Witter
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have you actually been paying the CSA?
If so where did the figure you pay come form?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare,The figures was set by the CSA and I am paying the resident parent directly each week through cash payments. I get receipts for my payments and have records on my bank statements for standing orders in the past. I definetely have payed too much maintenance as the CSA have confirmed this yesterday (1st July 2015) but they say they cannot do anything about this because it is a matter between the resident parent and myself. I am awaiting confirmation from the CSA to prove this so was wandering was there if anything could be done for me to be refunded. The CSA set the revised figure to start paying £31.19 on the 30th June 2014 but sent me the written documentation on the 22nd October 2012. Through my conversation with the CSA yesterday it appears the letter sent on 22nd October 2014 got lost in the post. They are re-sending me that letter again as proof of their revised calculation. I don't believe it to be fair that I have payed more than I should have because the CSA between 3 and 4 months to work out their calculation and nothing can be done about this. Please can you assist with questions or situations like this.Thank you.Paul Witter
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Did you actually make payments directly to the CSA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare,I have never made any payments to the CSA. All payments were paid directly to the resident parent. I spoke with the CSA on the 1st July 2015 where they have stated I have worked in compliance with their procedures, so there has been no need for me to make payments to them. They are content with me to continue to make payments directly to the resident parent.Thanks. *****
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Folorn hope I suspect - but will your ex co-operate with you?