UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Divorce, notice of proceedings question 6 on do I intend to…

Customer Question
Divorce, notice of proceedings question...
Divorce, notice of proceedings question 6 on do I intend to apply to the court to consider my financial position after the divorce, as we have not agreed any spilt of house or pensions etc should I say " yes" to this or can we sort this out post the divorce, and if I do sa no what implications does this have?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
6/7/2015
Solicitor: Clare, Family Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which ground is being used for the divorce?
Clare
Five seperation
Sorry they should have said five years seperation
Hi
What are the current financial arrangements and what remains to be agreed?
Clare
The current arrangement are that my wife currently lives in the marital home, there are two endowments, one one the marital home and one on a former home nth in joint names as is the remained wof the mortgage, I have a very small pension, my wife has a final salary pension. Current arrangements are that I pay only for our two sons. So all is to be agreed.
Hi
Have you started negotiations?
Clare
No, as stated in the original question
Hi
My apologies - you had said that.
The fact that finances have not yet been agreed is the only basis on which a divorce based on five year separation can be delayed/stopped.
Accordingly if you tick that box then the financial issues will become a central issue.
The court will then expect you to start taking active steps to resolve the financial matters by making a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting appointment with a local family mediator
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If your ex will mediate well and good.
If not then you can apply to the court for the financial issues to be resolved.
Indeed this is the process you need to follow whether or not you tick the box - but there is more pressure on her if you do!
Please ask if you need further details
Clare
Many thanks for your help
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.