How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There I have been separated from my wife since may 2009

Customer Question

hi there I have been separated from my wife since may 2009 what do I need to get a divorce please I have spoke to her and she has said get the papers and she will sign also what would the cost be please
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
it is not the divorce itself which is expensive but arguing over children money if solicitors are involved.
The court fee is £410 for the divorce petition and you can start the process here
normally, the respondent (your wife in this case) would be asked to pay the costs by the court, but you can agree between you either you pay or she pays or you divide the cost between you.
The sites that you have been looking at need to make a profit and they charge 69 quid plus the court fee of £410. You can get the documents from the above website so why pay the 69 quid?!
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Related UK Family Law Questions