How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34142
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I am going thorugh divorce, attended FDR which was effectively

This answer was rated:

I am going thorugh divorce, attended FDR which was effectively adjourned because the lawyers representing me or ex could not arrive at value of pot that is available for split. This is because, I own 2 properties in india ( in my sole name ), we got a court appointed valuer to value the properties. But no one seem to know what th tax , rules in India about the sale or transfer of proerty is possible at all and if so how ?

pl help

kind regards
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you made enquiries in India?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare


No ,not yet . At FDR one of the action item was to identify a tax consultant who had practices both in UK and India . Court would like to direct this consultant to come up with information.


Kind Regards

So what assistance would you like from us?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a) possibly name of a consultant who has dealt this kind of situation

b) can british courts pass orders on property located in india and if so are they honoured in india ?


this much for now.


thanks and regards

The UK courts can certainly deal with the Indian Assets as part of the settlement although it is unlikely that you could be forced to transfer them to your ex if you did not wish to do so - so they will simply give your ex a larger share of the UK assets instead.
I am afraid that I do not know any lawyers with experince of Indian Property law - but the Law Society ( will have a list of firms with offices in both countries
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions