How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. Im asking this question for my father. My grandfather

This answer was rated:

Hello. Im asking this question for my father. My grandfather his father dies recently leaving everything both money and his house which is filly owned to my father. He is the sole beneficiary and executor. He has no other living siblings so there is no one to contest the will. My question is does my father need to apply for a grant of probate to change the deeds of the house to his name and transfer any money in accounts. The estate does not qualify for inheritance tax as it is well under the 200, 000 bracket.
Many thanks

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that it will be necessary for a grant of probate to be obtained in the estate.

Sometimes a Grant if not required, but your case it will be because of the house. This is because in order to convey the house either to your father’s name or otherwise to a proposed Buyer of the property your father as execute will either need to executed a Land Registry Assent or Transfer form.

These forms must be executed by the executor of the estate and are not valid unless a Grant of Probate is produced. The Land Registry simply would not make the requested change to the registered title of the property unless a grant of probate was obtained and produced to them.

I am sorry, but there 100% no way around this.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you