How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34106
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single mum with a 2 year old son did not married my

This answer was rated:

I am a single mum with a 2 year old son did not married my ex, can he stop us moving up north,from surrey he see his son on a sunday only due to his working arrangements his name is XXXXX XXXXX certificate 

Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a court order regarding contact and what alternative contact would you offer
Why do you wish to move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no contact order, my parents were living in Surrey with the army, when I meet my sons father, I have always told him I would move back up north when my parents did, we have no family down south , so we are moving up north to be near all my family grandparents cousin etc, I have explained to ex and his mother they can come visit my son and stay at my new home, every other weekend,

regards Kelly

How do you feel about overnight contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already said that he can come to stay at my house , I would not trust my ex as he is into body building very paranoid,has a sharp temper plus he drives his car without tax and insurance and my son safety is paramount to me.


Hi Kelly
How hard is he likely to fight the move - could you see him applying to the court to do so?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said he will, I have arranged to move in 2 weeks, so I don't think he will get an order in that time, I'm not trying to stop him having contact like I have said I have told him he can do weekend visit, I have no csa payments from him,I have never applied for them, so he does not contribute towards his sons up bringing. I just need to know if I will be breaking the law by moving.

At present there is nothing to stop you from moving - but I am afraid that your ex can apply to the court for an emergency order preventing you from removing the child from the local area until the Court has made a decision about the long term future of the child.
If he does get such an order then you cannot move the child away without facing a legal order forcing you to return to the area.
However I would say that in the long term the court will allow you to make the move provided you make proper arrangements for contact - which could include Skype - and him taking the child out for the day in your new area.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions