How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34131
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Claire, I have a mental health illness (schizophrenia)

This answer was rated:

Dear Claire,
I have a mental health illness (schizophrenia) and I do not have contact with my family. I am unemployed but looking for a job?? My problem is that I no longer want to use friends as my next of kin when prompted to put a contact down on application forms? What are the options available for me? Can I use the services of a family lawyer, or do you know of any other external agencies that can provide services for situations like the one i am faced with

Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you talking purely in terms of the forms that you have to fill in?
Do you have an assigned Mental Health Nurse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire, I do not have a assigned mental health nurse!! I did have a social worker but I was told that because I was deemed well I no longer needed it and my social worker was withdrawn??


My last psychotic episode was in 2008 due to no longer taking medication, but since then I have been stable on my medication.


I am considering in the future perhaps doing paid work or voluntary work but I would need to put down a contact in case of an emergency. Iam wary of asking friends and I have no contact with family members! I want someone who is impartial but understanding of my situation? Does that sound possible?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes Claire im talking purely in terms of the forms i need to fill in! When you apply for a job or have been given a job they ask for next of kin or someone they can contact in case of an emergency, that s what i need a contact? As i said i do not have an assigned mental health nurse or social worker??


Also it would be useful for everything including university applications, colleges if i go on to do more studies in the near future?

legally you do not have to give any details at all - you can simply leave it blank if there is no one you would wish to be notified in the event of an emergency - some people do this as a matter of principle.
Unless you know a Solicitor well then it is not something that a firm can realistically do - and they would charge which would seen a shame.
Instead I would suggest that you contact the charity MIND
who would be able to put you in touch with a local volunteer advocate who can fulfil the purpose for you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions