How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34121
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi My ex and I have a court order for him to pay me 700 pounds

This answer was rated:

My ex and I have a court order for him to pay me 700 pounds per month child maintenance (he doesn't support me at all as we had similar incomes when we split) and 50/50 agreement on school fees payments for our two children.

He's taken on a mortgage with his girlfriend and now claims " something has to give" and is threatening to stop either maintenance or school fees. What is my situation? Can I force him through the courts? He is loaded with debts and lies constantly. He's also late paying his share of this terms fees which I'm being chased for. Can the CSA help or.....?

Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
When was the order made and what income does your ex have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was made in 2010 and I don't know now but at the time he was on around 65k and I have no reason to believe it's changed downwards since for any reason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need help with the question and am waiting for a response...
My apologies for the delay
Your ex cannot stop paying either the maintenance or the School fees unless he applies to the Court for an Order varying the Maintenance or dismissing the School fees Order.
Until he does then you can enforce the Order against him in one of the ways set out here
It is not ikely that the court will reduce the Order unless his income has reduced since 2010
Alternatively you can apply to the CSA for an assessment and if he is still earning what he did in 2010 then the Maintenance calculation is likely to be the same
You would still need to enforce the School Fees Order however
I hope that this is of assistance, please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you