How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34236
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a dual US/UK citizen recently left the US and moved back

This answer was rated:

I'm a dual US/UK citizen recently left the US and moved back and working in the UK. I'm paying alimony to a former spouse in the US. Can I claim tax relief in the UK for the alimony payments or are they in effect taxed both in the US and the UK? If I can claim relief in the UK what is the process to do this.

Thank you
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you.
I am afraid that there is no basis on which you can claim Tax relief on such payments in the UK
It is your spouse in the US that can claim the Tax back since tax has been paid here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you ned further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know which forms my former spouse in the US can use to be file to claim the tax back?

I am afraid that that is a question that a US Tax specialist would have to answer
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you