How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a couple with UK citizenship who were married in Cambodia

This answer was rated:

Can a couple with UK citizenship who were married in Cambodia process their Divorce in the UK . The women in the marriage also has a Cambodian Passport .

Where do you both live please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wife has been in Cambodia for just over a 1 year and the husband just arrived recently to see their 4 year old son . The wife left England to get away from the husband who is an Alcoholic and has been abusive and utterly controlling for the last 7 years of the marriage . He is now seeking to get the Divorce in Cambodia and is doing so by claiming Adultery .The wife fears for her safety as Adultery is punishable be jail sentence . The husband is making constant threats to his wife about getting her put in jail . He is also wanting custody of their child .


The English courts have jurisdiction to grant a divorce in England if either spouse

(a) is domiciled in England or Wales when the proceedings are begun, or
(b) is habitually resident in England or Wales throughout the period of one year ending with the date on which proceedings are begun.

If a divorce petition were issued now neither of you would be regarded as being habitually really resident, therefore you couldrely on B above.

It is possible for you to divorce in the united kingdom provided you can show you are domiciled in the united kingdom, thereby meeting a) above.

Domicile is more wide ranging. It is broadly he strongest connection a person can have to his or her country, and is acquired on birth

If it is the case that you were both born in the united kingdom then I would expect you to be regarded as being domicile in the united kingdom and therefore I entitled to issue a divorce petition.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tom , does it matter if proceedings have started in Cambodia , although no court date has been set for the first hearing . The wife is happy to resume living in the UK and obviously wants to avoid the prospect of going to jail if Adultery can be proven .


Yes, she should still be able to commence divorce proceedings in the united kingdom provided that the divorce in cambodia has not been finalized.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Sorry, I'm going to have to revise my most recent post.

I'm afraid that if proceedintgs have been issued in Cambodia then she would not now be able to issue proceedings in the UK. She would have to instruct a lawyer in Cambodia to represent her.

Sorry again.


Related UK Family Law Questions