How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34131
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I need to understand my current legal situation and any

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need to understand my current legal situation and any future implications with regards XXXXX XXXXX marriage and a possible break-up.
My partner and I are living together since June 2010
My partner and I tied knots in December 2012, in a small civil ceremony.
We do not have any kids and are renting out a flat together.

Background emotional drives and motivation:
Proposed to her in Dec 2011. In Nov 2012, I felt lack of commitment from my partner and I decided to move out and break the relationship but she convinced me by agreeing to commit to me in marriage.
Not surprisingly our relationship has seen some bumpy rides since. I adore her and am very happy to spend my life with her, but I am just not sure if I understand women and specially her.

In future I plan to buy a house but due to fragile nature of the relationship I would like to understand what are the legal implications if a break-up was to happen. Can I safe guard myself in any way from loosing out my investment in the property? The level of earnings and level of contributions from each one of us can be roughly estimated as: her contribution is 1/5th and mine is 4/5th.

Q: How can I safe guard my investment into property if a break up was to happen?
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the UK do you live in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Berkshire, Wokingham

If you purchase a property whilst you are married - even in your sole name - and you then live there with your wife then she will acquire Matrimonial Home Rights.
This will give her the right to live in the property AND a financial claim on it
If you wish to avoid such a claim then your only option is a Post Nuptial Agreement
You can read more about these here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions