How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34106
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Duxbury amount

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm a solicitor but specialise in a non-family area of law. My sister has an inheritance act claim (unmarried partner recently deceased) and I'd like to check the Duxbury calculation that her solicitor has provided her with. She is 39 now (37 at the time of partner's death) and needs an additional annual income of £11,600. I don't know if Duxbury takes into account any other relevant factors, but it would be extremely helpful to get a lump sum figure for this basic information. Many thanks if you can help! AB

Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you.
The Duxbury Calculations have fallen out of use in the last few years in Family Law and accordingly are no longer automatically available in all Family law offices and they are not available online.
However it is not unreasonable to ask her solicitors to provide a copy of the appropriate page failing which a call to a local Chambers will almost certainly render you a faxed copy
I hope that this is of assistance - and it is just her age and sex that are relevant to the calculation
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire, thanks for replying.

Is there an alternative method that had replaced the Duxbury calculations?

And if not, does Duxbury break it down to the exact age and amount needed, or just every 5 years and every £5,000 for example? (e.g. 35 y.o., 40 y.o., 45 y.o.; and £10k, £15k, £20k etc.)


It tends now to be Pension Sharing Orders or divisions of capital assets and there is no alternative set method
Certainly in the past the calculations were based on exact ages - and £1000 increments

Related UK Family Law Questions