How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13471
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Remus2002,My wife is a high-earner and joined a company

Customer Question

Hello Remus2002,

My wife is a high-earner and joined a company in 2009 but was made redundant in 2011 (4 years service). When she started, the company failed to use the Tax Code provided on her P45 meaning that she was taxed at Basic Rate and underpaid some £34K in Tax. We are in the process of appealing this with HMRC with a view to a write off due to Employer Error.

However, when she was made redundant, a lot of her redundancy went to an interim payment to keep the HMRC off her back (around £20K). Added to this, she has had telephone calls, postage, specialist accountant fees etc. to fight against the HMRC as well as many sleepness nights and stress - caused by the Employers simple inability to adhere to HMRC procedures and use the Tax Code figures provided on her P45. She has also needed to use Credit Cards as her redundancy money went to the HMRC and has also had Bank Problems with missed payments etc. and the associated charges.

Once she gets her HMRC refund, she would like to sue the former employer to recover these costs and also get compensation for 2 years of sheer hell fighting the HMRC.

Do you think this would be possible and under what type of legal framework could she do this - she is considering the MoneyClaim On-Line path for under £10K which would put it through the "Small Claim" Track.

Thank you for your considered reply.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Thanks for your interest in me but this isn't my area I'm afraid.

I'll opt out for others.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your profile show you deal with UK Employment Law.


This is a case suing a former Employer.


I'll wait for somebody else then I guess.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I’m Wendy, and I’m moderator for this Legal topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Wendy,


If my business is very valuable to you, why are you offering to close the question and not getting one of your many professionals to answer it ?


What is this website all about ?


I think I will not be carrying on with my subscription as the service level is obviously atrocious - that's a diplomatic way of saying that JustAnswer is a joke.