How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34105
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex has lost his job. He is not working as he is taking the

This answer was rated:

my ex has lost his job. He is not working as he is taking the company to court and hoping for a payout. He says he doesn't have to pay maintenance as he is on benefits and he has the kids once a week and every other weekend. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does he pay via a Court Order or the CSA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was done just between the two of us as it was seen to be amicable. He paid me £400 per month for the two children. Nothing was written down, it was just an agreement between the two of us.

Unfortunately then he is correct - if he has no income he need only pay the nominal £5 a week required form those on benefits
However you may wish to be certain that he has told you the truth and the only way of doing that is to make an application to the CSA I am afraid
Sorry I could not give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I can't get him to pay arrears when he does get a job? And I have no claim on his payout if he gets one when he takes his ex employer to court? He is deliberately not working to strengthen his employment case.

I am afraid that this is indeed correct on both points
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions