How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34277
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my wife is pushing through a divorce and try to force the

This answer was rated:

Hi, my wife is pushing through a divorce and try to force the whole process to be completed in 5months. I could not attend the first hearing for a maintenance pending suit order but been ruled to pay monthly sum and all the bills for the house with my 2 kids. Now her Solicitor is intending to ask the court for a penal notice attached to the order if I don't attend court... I think it's been rushed!!!
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Why were you not able to attend the first hearing?
Why can you not attend the hearing today and what is the focus of the hearing today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a GP and had to attend a course but I sent an email to the judge to explain my non-attendance.

I have not been able to prepare my financial statements yet...I have just come out of bankruptcy....
When was the financial application made and what is the nature of the hearing today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was made in I think May and the hearing today is first directions appointment ...
Is there any reason why you cannot attend and why you have not completed the Form E?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been under a lot of strain at work lately.. My partner retired, staffing problems, my sister admitted to a psychiatric hospital with a's been very difficult times...
Thats ok - but you can attend today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, just wondered what is going to happen without me providing the required information...her solicitor is asking for lump sum order, periodical payments order, pension sharing order
have yo actually looked in any detail at the Form E?
It is a daunting form when looked at overall - but simple with each question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet...I don't have my pension statement, what would happen if I attend court without having filled in the form?
Then an order will be made that you complete it by a certain date or face imprisonment for contempt of court.
You will also be Ordered to pay her costs of today.
In order to minimise the risk of this you should spend an hour going through the Form and answering as much as you can - and take three copies with you when you go.
Also have a clear idea as to when you will have any outstanding information available
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you