How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who is able to challenge somebodies will ?

This answer was rated:

Who is able to challenge somebodies will ?

Are you asking who may challenge a deceased's persons Will when the deceased has not made provision for them in the Will?

What relation to the deceased is the person proposing to challenge the Will?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Well, it is more of a generic question. If a person dies and the will leaves a certain amount for the spouse and children (whom are all above 30) and it is perceived that they didn't leave a sufficient amount for an individual be it the spouse or child, who has a legal right to challenge the distribution of the will ? and on what grounds ?



Thanks for your patience.

In the event of your someone passing away and not providing for a person then the only way to make a claim against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependent) Act 1976.

The persons able to make a claim under this act are as follows:-

(a)the wife or husband of the deceased;
(b)a former wife or former husband of the deceased who has not remarried;
[F1(ba)any person (not being a person included in paragraph (a) or (b) above) to whom subsection (1A) below applies;]
(c)a child of the deceased;
(d)any person (not being a child of the deceased) who, in the case of any marriage to which the deceased was at any time a party, was treated by the deceased as a child of the family in relation to that marriage;
(e)any person (not being a person included in the foregoing paragraphs of this subsection) who immediately before the death of the deceased was being maintained, either wholly or partly, by the deceased;

So, the spouse and children that you refer to would be one of those people.

After that, it gets very complicated I’m afraid. Each case turns on its own facts and there are no hard and fast rules to work out what the person is entitled to.

The Court will consider what is a "reasonable financial provision" for the person making the application and will take a number of factors in to account in determining what is fair (eg. size of the estate, other claims, resources and needs of other family members/dependants, responsibilities the deceased had to the person applying). The fact that a provision had been made for them already (even if it is small) would not be helpful to them.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tom,


That's great. Is there a rule of thumb ? say a husband died leaving a wife and five children.


Is there a percentage split which would be considered reasonable ? I know that answer would depend on the size of the estate but if you can work on the basis of it being enough to cater for all of their needs






There really isn't a rule of thumb I'm afraid, it's much to complicated with too many factors for that.

The best advice I can give is that the person shoudl attend a local solicitor when the person passess away for a consultation on the basis of the specific facts.

I am sorry I cannot be specific, but it would be folly..

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you