How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34235
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I evict an ex-girlfriend who is still living in my

This answer was rated:

How do I evict an ex-girlfriend who is still living in my property?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
How long has she lives there and are there any children involved
What financial contribution has she made to the property (if any)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has been in the property since 2005. There are no children involved. She has made no financial contribution to the property other than paying a share of utility bills / council tax.

The requirement is that you give her "reasonable notice" to leave in writing.
This should be at least 28 days - with 56 being potentially more reasonable.
At the end of that period if she has not left then you can wait until she goes out change the locks and pack up her belongings for collection
Make sure that you keep a copy of the Written notice and some evidence that she has seen it
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That seems rather simple but if it is legally correct then so be it it! Is there perhaps some sort of template I could use for the reasonable notice letter?

It is this simple as she has no legal rights to the property - she is there as a "bare licencee" - as your guest.
However she does have rights under family law to be given time to rehouse herself
There is no set template - just a simple letter is fine