How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34288
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son-in-law is taking the children to France in the summer

This answer was rated:

my son-in-law is taking the children to France in the summer holidays, however he is refusing to say the date he is travelling or returning or provide any flight details. What is the legal position please. Last year my daughter had the same problem but she had to supply him with full details of her holiday to Spain to stay with her father for him to return the passports.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Is there a court order regarding Residence and Contact in place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there is no Court Order, they currently have an 'informal arrangement' and my daughter has them slightly longer each month.

They each need the permission of the other - or an Order from the Court if they wish to take the children out of the country.
The information that your daughter has requested is utterly reasonable - flight details and the address where they are staying is the minimum he should give.
If he continues to be difficult then your daughter could if she wished apply for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent him taking the children out of the country - or better still a Residence Order - which woudl allow her to take them out of the country for up to 28 days at a time
It would however be less confrontational and thus more reasonable to try and discuss matters with him using Family Mediation (
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She's been trying to be reasonable but he just won't co-operate just bombards her with texts demanding the other passport or confronting her in front of the children. The problem is that 'his' two weeks are to start at the end of this month so mediation will not be an option because of time scales.

Do you have any idea how much a Prohibitive Steps Order would cost.

An emergency mediation appointment should be possible.
If your daughter decides to go the court route she should also apply for a Residence Order/
The Court fee is £200 - solicitors costs will depend on the solicitor she chooses to use
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you