How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22621
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter petitioned for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable

This answer was rated:

My daughter petitioned for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour, before it could be submitted to the Court her husband found out that she had been seeing somebody else and petitioned on the grounds of her adultery. He had signed the original petition and she did not contest his petition.
The case went before the Judge on the 29th January and he ruled that the petitioner, my daughter, could not reasonably be expected to live with the respondent, her husband.
Does that mean that she was granted the divorce and could now apply for the Decree Absolute.
What would have happened to her husbands petition? There is no mention of this in the correspondence.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

What does the order say exactly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the Judge declared that the marriage between my daughter, petitioner and my my son-in-law, respondent, had broken down irretrievably and decreed that the said marriage be dissolved unless sufficient cause be shown to the Court within six weeks from making this decree why such decree should not be made absolute.


It would appear that the husband's petition has been dismissed
although it is very difficult to know without knowing the full facts of the

Judges don't like cross petitions because they serve no purpose and waste court time and money.

She is now at liberty to apply for the decree absolute (if the time
has passed) as she is the petitioner. He can object of all the financial issues
have not yet been resolved


Does that answer the question? I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer J service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time L. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions.

I am offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if

Stuart J and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions