How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just received a letter from an ex with whom i bought

This answer was rated:

I have just received a letter from an ex with whom i bought a house in 1988. We paid everything 50/50 until we split in 1991, the only money i took from him after the split was the money my father had leant us to buy the property originally. The endowment policy is apparently still in both our names and is about to mature. He has written to me as Legal and General have stated that i must sign the documents to enable the policy to pay out.
Do i have any legal claim to any of this money?

How much did you pay into the policy, how much has the ex paid?

When did payments stop?


The ex's?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I paid in from 1988 to 1991 when we split, so i would say 2.5 years. I would have paid half of the monthly payment during that period as we shared all bills including mortgage, endowment, gas elec etc etc through a joint account. We paid in equal amounts to the joint account.


He has paid the last 22.5 years alone.


The payments will be stopping now - it was a 25 year policy.


So, doing some maths, you
paid 5/50ths(10%) and she
paid 45/50ths (90%)

Your 2.5year money has been
in longer than her most recent payments. You therefore should get slightly more than a pro rata share of the

You are in a strong position
to negotiate because she cannot get this without yr signature or court order
and that will be expensive and risky.

My suggestion would be to
tell her that you will settle for 15%.

If you want an exact
calculation it is actuarial matter and expensive and time consuming.

Get the insurance co to pay
you direct.


Does that answer the question?
I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

don't forget to positively rate my answer J service
(even if it was not what you wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time L. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

Stuart J and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the answer! can you suggest how to proceed? Obviously they want to resolve this quickly and no doubt they are NOT expecting me to claim anything. Should I ask for the policy number and deal direct through Legal and General??

Do you trust her to pay you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OOh now theres a question - dont think so to be honest.


Will she agree to give you 15%?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I suspect he thinks i will respond, sign the document and walk away. but if i am entitled to something i would like it. I dont really want to get into any "discussions" with him. what would you suggest as next steps?


I would write back saying that you are entitled to something (leave it vague) and that you will sign the doc if he agrees to give you 15%.

Tell him that if he does, send you the doc, with a confirmation letter and you will sign and send to the insurance co.

Send the signed form to the insurance co with his letter (keep a copy) and covering letter telling them that under no curcumstances is the whole amount to be paid to him and proceeds should be sent to each of you 85/15.

Tell them that if they don’t agre, send the form and correspondence back to you.

Then let him deal with the insurance co.

Whatever happens, you keep control of the paperwork

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats great - thank you very much.

Glad to help