How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex is trying to buy me out of the property, although I dont

This answer was rated:

My ex is trying to buy me out of the property, although I don't know how because he hasn't got much of an income. He seems to think the mortgage can continue as it is with my name on it. Surely when I sign the Transfer to come off the register the mortgage will be discharged too? Wouldn't he have to then remortgage? There is no way I am keeping my name on the mortgage in case he defaulted in the future. Should I speak to our mortgage provider?

Are you unmarried please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in the middle of divorce


Thanks for your patience.

The registered title to a property with a mortgage on it (as a first legal charge) cannot be transferred without the lender’s express consent. The first legal charge prevents this.

The only way it could be transferred without the express consent of the lender is where there is an order for the court stating that it should be transferred. If there is no order then there cannot be any transfer unless the lender consents.

You should speak to your lender about this. If he is trying to transfer the property without their consent then he won’t be successful.

However, I would strongly urge you not to sign the transfer without first taking advice from a local solicitor after taking the relevant documention from court proceedings, your ex and the lender to them for a consultation.

It is likely that in order for the lender to do this then they would have to give your ex a mortgage offer in his sole name in order for him to transfer the equity, remortgage in his sole name and release you from your obligations under the current mortgage. At the moment the position is very unclear but from what you say it appears unlikely that the lender would consent to this.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions